Monday, June 22, 2015

Catching Up-Pets

Next up in April, we went to Illinois (though we stayed in Iowa--we were right on the border) to pick up the newest member of our family.  I had found through a rescue up there a full-blooded rottweiler puppy.  Sean grew up with rotts and really wanted one since we'd decided it was time to add a dog to the mix.
 It was a nice little weekend getaway for Sean and I when we went to pick her up.
 We walked along the Mississippi and had a wonderful dinner in Keokuk, IA, which is where we stayed.

 When we met Roxie, we were instantly in love.  She's a wonderful puppy and has been such a great addition to our family!
 She had been bred for a pet store, but they won't accept puppies with "deficiencies".  Because Roxie's nose is rounded on top instead of boxed off like rotts are supposed to be, she'd been rejected (along with her brothers and sisters, who had already been adopted).
 The pet store's loss was our gain: a full blooded rott at adoption price!  Elise was instantly her best buddy, and they've remained besties--now that Roxie is fully potty trained, she sleeps in Elise's room.  Plus, Elise sleeps like a rock and Roxie snores (the nose thing :))
 Roxie wasn't the only pet this spring.  Elise had a toad who had been her " pet" last year, and who came back after hibernation.  Buddy, as she named him, let her cart him around, and as long as she put him back in his "home" (near our crawl space), he was always there for her to find.  Until the day she had him out in the other part of the yard and forgot to put him back.  He hopped away, never to be found again.
Erin wasn't as sure about Roxie at first and took quite a while to warm up to her.  But they both talk to her in baby voices now and say "that's my good Roxie girl".
 The good thing about Elise forgetting to put Buddy back in his home: we didn't have to find him torn to shred by his new yard mate :)She loved him though, so I am glad I got some pics of her with him.  Even if he grossed me out.
 We also got the excitement of getting to watch baby birds hatch right on our front porch!  It was a popular hangout for the kids waiting for the bus--and everyone took pics as they grew. 
 There ended up being 3 baby birds, but I forgot to take pictures--or if I did, I can't find them on my new phone!
 A little out of order, but sweet Roxie again.
 Elise loves animals--I wouldn't be surprised if she became a veterinarian.  When visiting the fire station, she came walking up to us with this bird that had flew into the bay window.  Sean and I both freaked out, thinking it was diseased, but it let her hold it and she was very easy.
 Sean talked her into setting him down outside in the grassy area, and he must've just been stunned, because after a few minutes, he flew away!

No comments: